Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Topic 2

Topic 1: Twitter /Social Media


  • The  three organizations I follow on Twitter are; Fox News, Washington Post and Earth Pics. I follow Fox News and Washington Post to simply be caught up with trending news I feel these two sites are fast and efficient when it comes to broadcasting. I follow Earth Pics because I love to see what kind of wonders the world has, I am always captivated by such beautiful photography of nature at its best. 

  • The best tweet I seen today that definitely deserves to be re-tweeted, was a video of a man who had his dog stolen 2 years ago, and when they were finally reunited the dog hesitated at first, but within seconds he was so excited he couldn't contain himself, he kept on jumping and rolling around on his owners lap. This stood out to me because I am a huge animal lover and there's nothing better then seeing animals reuniting with their owners. I love a happy ending.

  • I believe social media has enhanced my ability to take action and participate in democracy and government up to a certain point. I like being well  informed, but as far as the "let me post how I personally feel about this topic"  kind of attitude, I don't feel the need to take that route yet and instead I just repost, so others become informed just as I was. I believe topics that are worth discussion are better done and heard in person. 

Topic 2: The Internet

  • Sherry Turkle made a valid point and I agree with her 100%, we are definitely losing a sense of self, we are becoming increasingly isolated due to our addiction we have with electronics especially our phones, it is like a comfort item and it must always be with us or else we don't know what to do with our spare time. For example, while visiting my family a few months ago I noticed that we no longer have big discussions and debates like how we used to, we don't completely ignore each other, but when no one is talking everyone tends to go back on their phones, as if no one is able to restart a new conversation anymore and instead prefer to escape into their phones. In addition, last week I accidently left my phone at home and went to work. During lunch some of my colleagues and I were in the break room together and each one of them was on their phone except for me. I would try conversing with some of them but the replies were short or they would just nod or shake their head, so I finally decided to be quiet and observe. No one held an actual conversation during the entire lunch, that's when I realized that people are starting to become more adapted in being alone and prefer to carry out a conversation on social media instead of conversing in person. At least when an individual is speaking to me I am polite enough to put my phone away and acknowledge their presence.   My family has decided to reclaim dinner and family game nights. 

  • The last game I downloaded was Angry Birds and this was roughly 4 years ago. What I liked about this game was that it was; easy to grasp, fun, different, and colorful. This game was also constantly changing and updating making each new level better than the last, which made it extremely addicting. I used to play this game for at least 3 hours a day, I then began to get really bad headaches and falling behind on my school work so I decided to delete the game and I actually haven't downloaded a game since. 

  • I spend about 1 hour a day sometimes even less social networking. Honestly, I am too  busy, I work full time and am a full time student, I'm always bombarded with homework, when I come home I cook and try to clean my house, and if I have enough energy to workout I will, and usually when I am completely done with my day it is time for bed. I feel like gaming is a waste of time for me because I have so much going on that I can't just stop my routine in order to play a few games or network longer than I currently do, I would definitely fall behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment