Thursday, August 3, 2017

Newspapers and Modern Journalism

Newspapers and Modern Journalism

Topic 1: Newspapers

I usually get my local  news from KPTV FOX 12 and KOIN 6 news online. I would like to believe the news I  am receiving by the stations listed above is credible. I haven't had a problem with the local news being fake, with weather being an exception, I definitely don't trust the weather portion of the news because the meteorologists are just as accurate as my phone , which is not accurate most of the time. Moreover, I definitely trust that the local news I have been receiving is correct, at times I wish certain  news segments would go more into depth, but as far as second guessing if my local news is correct I haven't had the necessity to do so thus far.

I do not subscribe to any online news sources, because the news I receive from KPTV FOX 12 and KOIN 6 is sufficient, and if I need to further educate myself on a specific news topic I look it up online for free. I am not willing to pay because all news information can be found online for free.

At this exact moment I feel like I am at a 3 out of 5. I am definitely more informed in movies, sports, and general public information as opposed to pending legislation and actions by elected representatives. It is quite important to me to be well informed, but lately I have been discouraged to read anything that is related to our government because it has just become such a big disappointment. I believe we as a country have been moving backward instead of forward as if every time we take a step forward we end up taking three steps back, and in a Country as progressive as ours that is just unacceptable. So instead I inform myself on local information, and catch up on movies and sports since I am not a big reality tv junkie. Now is this a healthy and necessary habit for intellectual growth? No, I hope that soon I will feel the need re-engage myself.  For example; the stigma on marijuana is changing for the better, then out of left field all transgender military personnel can't serve in the military. This is an example of our Country taking one step forward and three steps back.

Topic 2: Fake News

I believe the problem with Trump is that he is only identifying "fake news" with news reports that only pertain  to him. He has been singling out news segments that he disagrees with because they are not portraying him how he wants to be portrayed therefore it is"fake news". I don't agree with Trump because according to him everything he dislikes is labeled as  "fake news". In addition according to Chicago Tribune, Trump has been declaring that news stations such as CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC are untrustworthy. Is the news actually fake? no, if news stations continuously broadcasted fake news, they would lose their credibility, and loose their general public population which is bad for business.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-trump-fake-news-cnn-huppke-20170628-story.html

I would have to agree, I believe Trump is damaging the right of free press especially since he keeps on referring to it as "fake news". I believe he wants the American people to see the press as a nuisance just as he does because it keeps on getting in his way and preventing him from moving forward with his plans.

I believe it is slowly becoming weakened by the Trump administration because they refrain from accepting any information that does not empower Trump, and begin labeling it as false.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/02/21/trumps-troubling-relationship-with-the-press/





No comments:

Post a Comment